◄ Back
April 14, 2023 4:30 PM

Flooding and Run-Off Related Water Concerns

Ogden City is prepared with sandbags in the event that waterways are overwhelmed and sandbagging becomes necessary along streams or rivers or unpredicted areas in neighborhoods. We are not providing sandbags for groundwater issues such as seeping or other nuisance flooding. These issues are caused by groundwater coming up through ground and foundations that sandbags cannot control.

Please call public services at 801-629-8271 if you see a river or stream that is in immenent danger of breaching it's banks. If necessary, sandbag staging areas will be established for residents to fill sandbags that the City will provide.

-River or stream related flooding, slides, or immenent danger of such items that has risen to emergency category? Call the non-emergency dispatch number #801-395-8221. If water breaches a waterway or if flooding/sliding in uncommon/unpredicted areas occurs, also use the non-emergency number. Crews are on call with several thousands of sandbags ready, heavy equipment as required, and are prepared to respond right away.

RIVER, STREAM, and RUN-OFF RELATED WATER ISSUES that are not emergencies, call public services #801-629-8271.

Homeowners are responsible for their homes and can help mitigate problems by considering the following tips:

*Know your risk for flooding in your area, and plan accordingly.
*Elevate the furnace, water heater, and electric panel if susceptible to flooding.
*Install “check valves” in sewer traps to prevent flood water from backing up into the drains of your home.
*Construct barriers to stop floodwater from entering your structure. Ogden City will supply sandbags for floodwater, however, we will not supply sandbags for seepage, groundwater, or runoff that is not related to streams or rivers. Residents are encouraged to consider having a sump pump and a personal supply of sandbags if their property is known to be susceptible to this.
*Seal walls in basements with waterproofing compounds to avoid seepage.
*Consider purchasing flood insurance.
*Clear snowpack away from window wells and your foundation.
*Help maintain your areas stormdrains by helping clear them if you notice debris in a nearby drain. Do not remove the grates, please call 801-629-8271 if you notice a stormdrain that needs the grate removed in order to clear the drain.

Facebook Twitter Email